Are Private Dentists Worth It in the UK?didsburyadmin
There is a common misconception that private dentists are overly expensive and less accessible for patients, but in actual fact, private dentists can be very affordable and convenient.
In this blog article, we will explain our perspective on the question ‘are private dentists worth it in the UK?’ and discuss the answers to related questions on this topic.
To learn more about dentists (private and NHS), click here to read our blog articles on:
- What is an out-of-hours dentist?
- Are dental emergencies covered by the NHS?
- Why are dentists not seeing NHS patients?
- Best private dentist in Manchester
- How much is an emergency dentist?
- Is there a shortage of dentists in the UK?
- Top 5 private dentists in Manchester
- How to get an emergency dentist appointment
What is the difference between a private dentist and an NHS dentist?
An NHS dentist refers to dentistry which is available on the NHS. Every NHS dental practice is given a fixed NHS budget, which usually comes with limitations. For example, the NHS dental practice may only operate from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm.
There are people who are entitled to free NHS dental treatment, such as people under 18, people being treated in an NHS hospital, pregnant women, and people on low-income benefits.
At NHS dentists, you have to pay for certain treatments, such as emergency dental treatment. However, there are treatments available which are free of charge, such as having your stitches removed or if your dentures need repairing.
Whereas, at private dentists, patients have to pay privately for any dental treatment they undergo. Private dentists do not work on a fixed budget, so they offer a wider selection of treatments, such as cosmetic work, which are unavailable on the NHS.
Are private dentists worth it in the UK?
So, are private dentists worth it in the UK? We at Didsbury Dental Practice believe that committing to a private dentist will have long-term benefits for every patient’s oral health and overall health and well-being.
There is a multitude of benefits to using a private dentist:
- Shorter waiting times for an appointment.
- Greater flexibility for appointment times (e.g. during evenings, weekends, and outside of 9-5 office hours.)
- Greater flexibility for emergency treatment.
- Private dentists can generally offer more time with patients, which is beneficial for treating immediate problems and preventing any future issues.
- Better quality of care, as there are no funding restrictions.
- More treatment options (e.g. orthodontic work, Invisalign or teeth whitening).
- Access to treatments that are not available at certain NHS dental practices (like veneers and dental implants).
- Wider access to dental specialists (such as orthodontists, periodontists and endodontists.)
- More services are available for nervous patients (e.g. sedation).
- Better customer service and more individualised attention for patients, as there are fewer patients registered than an NHS dental practice would have.
- A wider range of cosmetic treatments is available (such as lip fillers, which are not available on the NHS).
- Many private dentists offer payment plans and finance options, which allow you to spread the cost of dental treatments.
- A more relaxed waiting room atmosphere, as private dentists are less likely to be in a rush.
- Quicker solution for minor inconveniences (such as losing or breaking your dentures).
- Better aftercare, as a private dentist, can offer you more in-depth, tailored advice.
- More access to cutting-edge, advanced dental technology and equipment (e.g. 3D scanning to custom-make retainers for a patient’s mouth.)
- You can build a better rapport with your dentist or orthodontist, as you can see the same one each time, and they have fewer patients to treat. This is really advantageous, as they can get to know your individual needs much better.
- Quicker times for items to be returned from a private laboratory.
- Private dentists are usually independently owned, which means you will be supporting a local business.
What services are available at Didsbury Dental Practice?
Here at Didsbury Dental Practice, we are a leading private dental practice in south Manchester.
Our team of experienced dental specialists can support you through every step of your dental journey.
The highly skilled dental professionals at our practice are very accustomed to helping patients with any kind of tooth problem. We will thoroughly assess your teeth and gums and prescribe any necessary medications.
Services for Nervous Patients
Offering compassionate dental care in tranquil surroundings, our dentists take expert care of their patient’s teeth. We provide Dental Sedation or IV Conscious Sedation, to help patients feel relaxed and cope with any nerves during their appointment.
We also offer pain-free laser treatment, to gently reduce a patient’s tooth decay without the heat, vibration and pressure associated with a normal dental drill.
Whether you need a root canal, crowns or bridges, or dentures, we at Didsbury Dental Practice have got you covered. We have years of experience in eliminating the problems that are caused by issues such as missing teeth and gaps in the teeth.
We can also provide our expert care if you need treatment for gum inflammation and periodontal disease.
We offer a choice of cosmetic dental treatments including teeth whitening, white fillings, dental veneers and inlays & onlays. We enjoy working with patients to enhance their smiles and improve their self-confidence.
Emergency dental care at Didsbury Dental Practice
Our emergency dental care is second to none.
Our team of dental professionals can provide treatment for any type of dental emergency: from severe toothache and tooth infections to broken teeth, lost fillings or broken dentures.
Didsbury Dental Practice has got you covered, at any time of day or night. Dental emergencies can be very painful, so we offer out-of-hours treatment because we know that dental problems don’t always stick to 9.00 am to 12.00 am.
To book an emergency appointment, it is not necessary for you to be an existing patient at our practice.
If you experience a dental emergency, simply call our dental emergency helpline on 0161 413 2509, or walk into our dental practice, and we will aim to see you as soon as possible.
How do you join a private dentist in the UK?
To register with Didsbury Dental Practice, fill in our online form on our website here.
Alternatively, call us on 0161 413209; or visit our dental practice at 90 Barlow Moor Road, Manchester, M20 2PN.
How do you switch from an NHS dentist to a private dentist?
Many people switch from an NHS dentist to a private dentist, because they have moved house, because they are unhappy with the care provided, or because they wish to be seen by a different dentist.
You can register for a private dentist by calling them and asking them if they are taking on new, private patients. If they are, then you will be able to register with them.
Before you register with a private dentist, you should inform your NHS dentist that you will be moving to another dental practice. Make sure you have cancelled any upcoming appointments and finished paying for any treatments.
Your new dentist can ask your previous dentist for your dental records, so they can understand what your care needs are.
If you want to join a new NHS dentist, then there is likely to be a long waiting list, so you may have to wait months to be seen.
Can you get Invisalign on the NHS?
No, Invisalign (or Invisible braces) are not usually available on the NHS. Generally, you will only find Invisalign available at private dentists.
Invisalign costs anywhere between £1,500 to over £5,000, and there simply isn’t enough NHS funding available to provide patients with Invisalign treatment.
Here at Didsbury Dental Practice, we offer Invisalign (Invisible braces) for adults and teenagers. We can support you through every step of the journey.
Book a consultation with one of our Invisalign dentists here if you are interested in the treatment.
Click here to read our blog articles on:
We hope you now have the answer to the question ‘are private dentists worth it in the UK?’
To learn more about Didsbury Dental Practice, visit our website here.
Visit our blog to read more articles on dental health.