Can I Take Invisalign Out for a Night Out?didsburyadmin
Invisalign treatment is a system used globally to straighten teeth. They are designed to slowly reposition your teeth to the desired place. The clear aligners are made using SmartTrack a specially designed flexible plastic created specifically for this treatment.
The clear aligners that you get with Invisalign treatment are extremely different from metal braces. Where traditional metal braces can only be removed by an orthodontist, Invisalign aligners are able to be removed easily by the patient themselves.
Unlike metal braces which are quite visibly obvious, Invisalign aligners really are practically invisible and unless you point them out it is unlikely that they will be noticed by anyone.
Your clear aligners will be designed specifically for you by your orthodontist using a 3D scan of your mouth. A plan will be made that is completely unique to you to help you on your Invisalign journey and make sure every tooth goes where you want it to.
Your dentist will be fully monitoring your whole process and will make sure that everything goes as smoothly as possible for you so that you have as few issues with it as possible.
Invisalign is also versatile if you do not need a full set you can just get a partial set which will only move your front teeth.
Does Invisalign hurt?
Invisalign treatment is definitely not a painful treatment in terms of orthodontics. It is actually one of the least painful dental treatments you can get. Like any type of retainer or braces, there is of course a slight adjustment period when you get a new set that may cause some discomfort.
Once you adjust to the feeling of the pressure you should be fine. Be reassured that this pressure is simply the Invisalign aligners doing their job properly.
If you do experience any pain when you get your aligners then this should only be mild and temporary. It should be completely gone in a few days. If you have any severe pain or discomfort after about a week of wearing your aligners then you should speak to your dentist and/or orthodontist.
What are the disadvantages of Invisalign?
Invisalign is not necessarily the correct choice for every patient, whether you are not eligible or you just don’t feel that it is right for you, your dentist should be able to offer you a suitable alternative.
There are a few disadvantages of Invisalign treatment that you should be aware of:
- Invisalign is generally more expensive than getting normal braces.
- You may forget to put in and take out your Invisalign each time, which may put you behind on your teeth straightening progress.
- It requires effort to clean and maintain your Invisalign aligners and the trays that they are stored in. If you do not clean them properly, old food and bacteria could build up on them, which can stain and damage your aligners.
- If you do not clean your Invisalign well enough, this increases your risk of cavities and bad breath.
As you can see, the problems that can occur throughout the course of Invisalign treatment are mostly down to improper care for the aligners. Invisalign treatment is therefore best for those who are able to visit the dentist for regular check-ups and can keep their aligners properly clean and fresh with a daily cleaning routine.
At Didsbury Dental Practice we believe that Invisalign treatment is worth it so don’t let the few disadvantages put you off this option. Most patients that use Invisalign as their system for straightening their teeth get amazing results.
What are the advantages of Invisalign?
There are so many benefits to using Invisalign liners such as:
- The Invisalign is virtually invisible and unnoticeable on your teeth- it does not come with any brackets or wires, or the restrictions that come with metal braces.
- The Invisalign can be removed during meal times and during sleep, whereas normal braces cannot be removed.
- Invisalign aligners are easier to clean than normal braces.
- Invisalign tends to be more comfortable than normal braces, as it applies less pressure to the teeth.
- Wearing Invisalign requires fewer trips to the dentist than normal braces do.
- If you wear normal braces, they can cause cuts inside your cheeks. With Invisalign, you won’t have this problem.
- Invisalign removal is quick, easy and painless- whereas removal of normal braces is time-consuming and can cause discomfort and pain.
- Invisalign allows you to view your treatment plan and virtual results before you have even started the treatment, so you will have a better idea of what your teeth are expected to look like after your Invisalign journey is over.
So, can you take your Invisalign out for a night out?
Depending on your specific circumstances the length of time that you will need to wear Invisalign aligners will change. Usually though an average treatment last around 6 to 18 months.
Usually, the desired results can be obtained in just 12 to 18 months. Invisalign is not only one of the least painful dental treatments you can get but also one of the fastest.
To get these desired results, it is normally recommended that you spend around 20 to 22 hours a day wearing your Invisalign clear aligners. If this is not suitable for you your dentist should advise you of this and help to figure out a solution. They should also advise you on whether it is suitable for you to sleep with your aligners in.
The majority of people will sleep with heart aligners in and will be advised to do so. There are advantages to this. If you sleep with your aligners in you will get your desired outcome much much quicker than if you do not. They can also stop you from grinding your teeth at night which otherwise may also slow down the whole process.
You should also do your best to avoid eating and drinking with your Invisalign aligners in. The build-up of food and drink in your aligners next to your teeth can be bad for your dental health.
We have some tips in our article ‘Can You Drink With Invisalign?’ if you need more advice.
This all shows that there are pros and cons to both keeping your aligners in on a night out and taking them out. Overall it is a decision you have to make for yourself, perhaps even with advice from your dentist or orthodontist.
If you are going out to eat and drink it could end up being a slight inconvenience having to take your aligners in and out all night but if you do not wear them you could slow down some of your progress.
If you do decide that taking them out is the right choice for you just remember to properly clean them before you put them back in. And remember if you are ever unsure of anything whilst on your Invisalign journey talk to your dentist or orthodontist.
How much is a full set of Invisalign?
Click here to view our full list of dental fees. We believe that exceptional dental care shouldn’t discriminate and that is why we offer a range of finance options and payment plans to make all our dental treatments affordable, which now includes orthodontic treatments.
If you are interested in getting Invisalign, contact us to book your first consultation with one of our Invisalign dentists. We are more than happy to help!
Didsbury Dental Practice
To learn more about Didsbury Dental Practice, visit our website here.
Click here to learn about our Invisalign treatment for adults and teenagers.
If you need an emergency appointment, call our dental emergency helpline on 0161 413 2835, or walk into our practice and we will aim to see you as soon as possible.