What Are the Benefits of Going to a Private Dentist?didsburyadmin
When it comes to choosing a dentist, people always look for key factors, including quality of treatment, fees, location, and opening hours. But have you ever wondered whether an NHS dentist or private dentist is right for you?
In this article, we will answer any questions you may have about private dentists, and outline exactly what the benefits of going to a private dentist are.
Read similar articles about dentists
Here at Didsbury Dental Practice, we regularly update our blog with articles about all things dental health. We publish these articles to answer frequently asked questions that we know people are searching online if they are experiencing toothache or a dental emergency.
Click here to read our blog articles on:
- Best Private Dentist in Manchester
- Are Private Dentists Worth It in the UK?
- Do You Get Better Treatment with a Private Dentist?
- Top 5 Private Dentists in Manchester
- Why Are Dentists Not Seeing NHS Patients?
- Can You Go A&E With Toothaches?
- What Is an Out-Of-Hours Dentist?
- Is There a Shortage of Dentists in the UK?
What is the difference between a private dentist and an NHS dentist?
An NHS dentist refers to dentistry which is available on the NHS, as it has been subsidised by the government. Every NHS dental practice is given a fixed NHS budget, which usually comes with limitations. For example, the NHS dental practice may only operate from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.
There are patients who are entitled to free NHS dental treatment, such as people under 18, people being treated in an NHS hospital, pregnant women, and people on low-income benefits.
At NHS dentists, you have to pay for certain treatments, such as emergency dental treatment. However, there are treatments available which are free of charge, such as having your stitches removed or if your dentures need repairing.
Whereas, at private dentists, patients have to pay privately for any dental treatment they undergo. Private dentists do not work on a fixed budget, so they offer a wider selection of treatments, such as cosmetic work, which are unavailable on the NHS.
Moreover, at a private dental practice, they may choose not to take any NHS patients, and instead, have private patients registered who pay fees for appointments and treatments.
What are the benefits of going to a private dentist?
We at Didsbury Dental Practice are of the firm conviction that committing to a private dentist will have long-term benefits for every patient’s oral health and overall health and well-being.
There is a multitude of benefits to using a private dentist:
- Shorter waiting times for an appointment.
- Greater flexibility for appointment times (e.g. during evenings, weekends, and outside of 9-5 office hours.)
- Greater flexibility for emergency treatment.
- Private dentists can generally offer more time with patients, which is beneficial for treating immediate problems and preventing any future issues.
- Better quality of care, as there are no funding restrictions.
- More treatment options (e.g. orthodontic work, Invisalign or teeth whitening).
- Access to treatments that are not available at certain NHS dental practices (like veneers and dental implants).
- Wider access to dental specialists (such as orthodontists, periodontists and endodontists.)
- More services are available for nervous patients (e.g. sedation).
- Better customer service and more individualised attention for patients, as there are fewer patients registered than an NHS dental practice would have.
- A wider range of cosmetic treatments is available (such as lip fillers, which are not available on the NHS).
- Many private dentists offer payment plans and finance options, which allow you to spread the cost of dental treatments.
- A more relaxed waiting room atmosphere, as private dentists are less likely to be in a rush.
- Quicker solution for minor inconveniences (such as losing or breaking your dentures).
- Better aftercare, as a private dentist, can offer you more in-depth, tailored advice.
- More access to cutting-edge, advanced dental technology and equipment (e.g. 3D scanning to custom-make retainers for a patient’s mouth.)
- You can build a better rapport with your dentist or orthodontist, as you can see the same one each time, and they have fewer patients to treat. This is really advantageous, as they can get to know your individual needs much better.
- Quicker times for items to be returned from a private laboratory.
- Private dentists are usually independently owned, which means you will be supporting a local business.
As you can see, there is a long list of benefits of going to a private dentist!
Now you know what the benefits of going to a private dentist are, if you are based in the Greater Manchester area, then why not register with Didsbury Dental Practice, and start your journey with us today?
You will receive excellent, compassionate care from our highly experienced team of professionals. We offer flexible opening hours, a wide variety of dental treatments and cosmetic dentistry and a first-class emergency dental care service.
How much do private dentists cost?
The cost of private dental treatment will vary between practices but should always be readily available for you to view when initially booking your session. Our own prices can be found here.
All private dentists’ fees represent the higher quality of service and treatment you will receive. They are also reasonably priced compared to NHS treatment, and quite often, private dentists will encourage you to look at different pricing options if you are unsure of the value to ensure you get what you want.
The unique element of a private treatment plan is that you will get the chance to understand what future procedures look like from the outset. The nature of meaning you are paying for the service; means you get more clarity on what it is you can expect to have done. This means you have more control over the amount you are paying and are not likely to get shocked by any unwanted costs, which can happen with the NHS as not all costs are covered.
As a guide for some of the most common procedures with Didsbury Dental Practice, you can expect to pay:
Examinations from £45
Hygiene appointments from £64
Fillings from £50
Teeth Whitening from £95
How do you switch from an NHS dentist to a private dentist?
Many people switch from an NHS dentist to a private dentist, because they have moved house, because they are unhappy with the care provided, or because they wish to be seen by a different dentist.
You can register for a private dentist by calling them and asking them if they are taking on new, private patients. If they are, then you will be able to register with them.
Before you register with a private dentist, you should inform your NHS dentist that you will be moving to another dental practice. Make sure you have cancelled any upcoming appointments and finished paying for any treatments.
Your new dentist can ask your previous dentist for your dental records, so they can understand what your care needs are.
If you want to join a new NHS dentist, then there is likely to be a long waiting list, so you may have to wait months to be seen.
What services are available at Didsbury Dental Practice?
Here at Didsbury Dental Practice, we are a leading private dental practice in south Manchester.
Our team of experienced dental specialists can support you through every step of your dental journey.
The highly skilled dental professionals at our practice are very accustomed to helping patients with any kind of tooth problem. We will thoroughly assess your teeth and gums and prescribe any necessary medications.
Services for Nervous Patients
Offering compassionate dental care in tranquil surroundings, our dentists take expert care of their patient’s teeth. We provide Dental Sedation or IV Conscious Sedation, to help patients feel relaxed and cope with any nerves during their appointment.
We also offer pain-free laser treatment, to gently reduce a patient’s tooth decay without the heat, vibration and pressure associated with a normal dental drill.
We offer everything from dental implants and All on 4 dental implants to Zygomatic dental implants and Bone Grafting, to support patients experiencing issues such as tooth loss and bone loss.
Whether you need a root canal, crowns or bridges, or dentures, we at Didsbury Dental Practice have got you covered. We have years of experience in eliminating the problems that are caused by issues such as missing teeth and gaps in the teeth.
We can also provide our expert care if you need treatment for gum inflammation and periodontal disease.
We offer a choice of cosmetic dental treatments including teeth whitening, white fillings, dental veneers and inlays & onlays. We enjoy working with patients to enhance their smiles and improve their self-confidence.
Emergency dental care at Didsbury Dental Practice
Our emergency dental care is second to none.
Our team of dental professionals can provide treatment for any type of dental emergency: from severe toothache and tooth infections to broken teeth, lost fillings or broken dentures.
Didsbury Dental Practice has got you covered, at any time of day or night. Dental emergencies can be very painful, so we offer out-of-hours treatment because we know that dental problems don’t always stick to 9.00 am to 12.00 am.
To book an emergency appointment, it is not necessary for you to be an existing patient at our practice.
If you experience a dental emergency, simply call our dental emergency helpline on 0161 413 2509, or walk into our dental practice, and we will aim to see you as soon as possible.
We hope you now understand the benefits of going to a private dentist.
To learn more about Didsbury Dental Practice, visit our website here.
If you need an emergency appointment, call our dental emergency helpline on 0161 413 2835, or walk into our practice and we will aim to see you as soon as possible.
Check out our blog to read more articles on dental health.